Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Oldie but Goodie: My Black is Beautiful Poem

Alright, so this is the poem I wrote and recited at the 2008 AKA Debutante Hobby Talent Tea. (SHOUT OUT TO ALL MY LOVELY LADIES- DEBS '08!!!)I got inspiration from the My Black is Beautiful campaign BET was having. Check it.

My black is beautiful

Like the way the sun shines in the morning

Like the way the evening sounds when the sun goes down

Like the way love feels when it's a one of a kind

Like meeting my grandmother for the first time

My eyes see the smile in her eyes and our eyes both realize that we're connected.

Much more than the eye can see.

Time passes through me as I grab hold of her hands.

Slowly massaging her memories of ancestry

Those hands tell a story of love , patience, diligence, and bonds of sisterhood

Those hands tell of the lives I never could.

My black was my past.

My black is my present

As I look into the mirror, the reflection of my ocular attention leaves me breathless.

Switchin' my hips from side to side

Who said I wasn't cute?! They lied! Please.

I could hurt somebody with these!

And give a warm embrace at the same time. That's how well I shine.

My soul is more beautiful than any make-up can make-up, and that's proof.

I'm trying to say this nicely without hurting anyone's feelings, but I can't cover the truth.

My black is beautiful.

It can not be concealed, contained, hidden or retained. I am not ashamed to say that..my black is beautiful

From the tips of my toes to the curve of my hair follicles

To that funny little dance I do, to my golden hue.

From my audacious personality to the skin you see.

My black is bold enough to stand up in the face of adversity.

Carrying my head up high and having limits that go beyond sky.

My black is beautiful

My black is phenomenal like

Marian Anderson

Maya Angelou

Mary McLeod –Bethune

Madam C.J. Walker

Cleopatra

Nefertiti

Shirley Chisholm

Dorothy Dandridge

Hattie McDaniel

Ella Fitzgerald

My Black is sensational like

Lorraine Hansberry

Bille Holiday

Lena Horne

Zora Neale Hurston

Fannie Lou Hamer

Mahailia Jackson

My black is exceptional like

Coretta Scott King

Rosa Parks

4 little girls

Bettsie Smith

So journer Truth

Harriet Tubman

Cicely Tyson

Alice Walker

Ida B. Wells

Phillis Wheatly

Oprah Winfrey

Sarah Vaughn

My black is strong.

Redefining strength in a myriad of ways

From artistry, technology, cosmetology, photography, medicine, media

My black's got more definitions than an encyclopedia

Question is, is the world ready to learn?

Cuz My black is where its at as far as I'm concerned.

So lets take our pens and make our mark on the minds of the naïve so that they'll believe that their black is beautiful too.

No comments:

Post a Comment