Thursday, November 11, 2010

Chopped & Screwed: Linear vs Non-Linear Editing in the Newsroom

Hey y'all. Videomaker.com gives a few points on what the pros and cons are of linear editing and non-linear editing. I've worked with both types of editing and I like each one equally...well, maybe I liked placing clips on a timeline better than running back and forth for tapes.lol Anyway, the magazine just talks about how everyone is making the switch to non-linear editing and how lame and behind the times everyone else is for sticking to linear editing.lol Just joking. They say that although there are nothing but advantages to gain from non-linear editing, they stick behind linear editing for providing the basics at next to nothing. (1,000 isn't cheap in my book..not right now at least.) With linear editing, its a one step process and you don't have to go back an continually make edits. At WVUA, they use linear editing with tapes. It was tedious and took a long time, but I felt more involved in the editing process.I felt like a DJ turning records! (Quietly, I want to be a DJ when I grow up..) With non-linear editing programs like FCP, all you're doing is dragging and dropping files onto a timeline. Pretty interesting stuff.












This is any editing bay similar to the ones used at WVUA.












This is a more up-to-date editing bay.

No comments:

Post a Comment